Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Blind in one eye?

Can I be legally in only one eye if the other eye still sees okay?

There are currently 9 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re:Blind in one eye?

i am blind in my left eye. i lost my vision 11 years ago. my right is getting worst now. i find myself running into things . the doctor is giving me new glasses but they are bificals to try to help me read. my glasses will help me for about only 6 months because my right eye has to work so hard for me. i still work but my boss is always getting on to me because i will not go on disablity, but the doctor said that i was not yet ready. i told my boss that but she does not unstand. she give me a bad reveiw because of safety issue due to my low vision. i love my job and i dont want to be disable. what can i do to be able to keep working ? i feel that if i have to be put on disablity i will feel that i am know longer part of this world and i feel like i failed. also should i change jobs somewhere else and how do i go about it and is there help out there that could help me get a better job with insurance? what i have is call olucar presume histoplamsomic and i also had glucamo, cateracts. i had the left one remove 2 weeks ago and the right is not ready yet . i have bad nerve damage in my left eye. i do not know how much longer i will see out of my right eye.

I know people who are blind in one eye (less depth perception) but who still drive and hod FT jobs. I would be so happy to at least have full sight in one eye having had none in my right for many years and limited in my left.

Donald
http://www.blindnessservices.com/
http://www.praycircle.com/

I'm not sure what the required vision is but I'm completely blind in my left eye (since birth), and have glasses since my vision in my right eye is so bad.
I was told I CAN get my license as long as I have my glasses on and only drive during the day. I applied for SSI (I was told by my SSI conselor that I could get back pay up until the time I turned 21), but the SSI commission denied it, saying I'm not blind enough.

Thanks for the information !! Hope you are all doing okay. :)

I think you have to be 20/400 in both eyes or worse, with contacts or glasses to be disabled.

I DONT C Y U CANT FILE FOUR SOCIALSECURITY EVEN JUST HAVEING ONE EYE. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR DOCTOR.GOOD LUCK.PS TELL ME HOW U LOST YOUR IF U DONT MIND I ASK .I LOST MINE DUE FROM SPOUSEL ABUSE.

Thanks for the feed back.. I just got the results of my eye test and L eye is 20/20 with glasses and the right is 20/400 with glasses. I wish i knew if ths was considered be blind or not.

i am blind in one eye as well and my good eye has just gotten pour.dr removed my liscense dont know what to do just yeat.it has been 22 years ago the removal of my right eye have a prostidic.my left eye is really poor dont think ill b getting back to worksoon.

I would like to file for disability and would like to know your thoughts