Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Corrective Lens for someone blind in one eye.

I have been completely blind in my right since birth. I actually do have some sensitivity to light in the eye, and if I concentrate, I can see a little bit peripherally out of that eye, but it is so negligible as to be nonexistent. I've never been very troubled by having sight in only one eye, However, now, at the age of 55, my distance vision in my sighted eye has really started to deteriorate (seemingly rapidly to me) and so I need glasses for driving and seeing far, etc. (Strangely, my close-up vision which in my 40s had gotten bad has gotten better as my distance vision has degenerated). Anyway, my optomitrist seems unable to come up with a prescription that gives me clear vision. I am wondering if this is because the equipment that he uses to adjust for the prescription is based on a stereoscopic model. No matter how many adjustments he makes it is always somewhat blurry. He says it is because my eye can't focus because I don't have the other eye to focus with. This seems lame to me. If I can look through a telescope and binoculars and manage to find an in-focus setting using just one eye, why can't they prescribe me a pair of glasses that does just the same thing. Shouldn't they be able to do that? Anyone? I've had two new prescriptions done in the space of a couple months but my new glasses are always blurry (better than without the glasses but nothing close to actually making things in focus).

There are currently 2 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re: Corrective Lens for someone blind in one eye.

Hello Ccchego,

I think you need to go to a eye doctor. If your long distance vision are getting blurred at the age of 55 you may have got the ordinary "old mans vision" which means that you need more plus-power for driving and seeing far.
But, at the same time you write that your vision when you read was getting better, and thats what worries me.
If we assume that you have been a little farsighted all the time ( you have always had a minor plus on your eye, which is normal) , your eye has always been too short so that the focus point is located behind the retina ( the eye layer for vision receptors), where the area for best vision is located. The small area for best vision is called fovea centralis.

Now, if your focus point normally is behind the fovea, the retina of the eye has to move back to meet the focus point of the eye, if your reading vision should be improved in the age of 55.
The only way this is possible is when the eye are getting longer or larger measured on the optical axe of the eye. This is not normal and you need to have measured the internal pressure of your eye. This situation is called glaucoma , which means that the waterfloat going to the eye can't get away through the drain called schlemm's channel.
At the same time this could explain why your optician can't find the optimal correction for your eye.

I am optometrist and have developed new ways to measure Keratoconus and other methods to find spots on the retina that still works by the eye desease retinitis pigmentosa.

You can find some info here...use Google translate:

The best of luck to you.

Best regards

Re: Corrective Lens for someone blind in one eye.

Somebody with a situation which sounds similar to yours posted on this very message board (a little further down) and got some responses. Here is the link. Hope it helps.

Log in to Post a Reply