Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Guide Dogs

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to put this but...
I am 15 and have been researching guide dog schools. I am now getting ready to apply...
I have been legally blind for about 8 years now and it has been my dream to get a guide dog ever since. Could anyone share a few tips or a bit about their experiences with guide dogs?
Thank you!

There are currently 3 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re:Guide Dogs

I've always dreamed of getting a dog.

Re:Guide Dogs

first of all it requires a lot of time and attention. It's not as easy as you think. Guidedogs require a lot of attention and time. It also requires you to have a good responsible attitude. You need to be responsible for the dog. Also, to add to that, you need to have a good grasp of orientation and cane skills.

Be AwareRe:Guide Dogs

make sure the school you choose trains the dogs in the same type of area you live in... for instance i had a bad experience with my first dog because i live in the country and the scool i chose focused on city areas. also, i have kids and go to their schools often and when my dog was around kids, he didn't pay attention to me. find an O&M instructer in your area that knows guide dogs and ask them a lot of questions. good luck.