Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Tax deduction for being legally blind

I have checked throughout the IRS website and cannot find anything which discusses the documentation required to cliam a deduction for being legally blind. I do not plan to claim it for this year (I've been visually impaired my whole life, but just went beyond the "magical numbers" this summer), but would like to know for future years - and, not being rich, I just can't convince myself to mark that check box on the tax forms without having whatever documentation the government finds necessary. Anyone know the answer to this?

There is currently 1 reply

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re:Tax deduction for being legally blind

I made a resource page for my area including federal, state and local assistance that a legally blind individual might be entitled to.

the federal will be the same for everyone and the state and local might difer slightly, but are probably there in some form or other



Higher Standard Deduction for Blindness

If you are blind on the last day of the year and you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction. You qualify for this benefit if you are totally or partly blind.
Partly blind. If you are partly blind, you must get a certified statement from an eye doctor or registered optometrist that:


You cannot see better than 20/200 in the better eye with glasses or contact lenses, or

Your field of vision is not more than 20 degrees.

If your eye condition will never improve beyond these limits, the statement should include this fact. You must keep the statement in your records.

If your vision can be corrected beyond these limits only by contact lenses that you can wear only briefly because of pain, infection, or ulcers, you can take the higher standard deduction for blindness if you otherwise qualify.

Spouse 65 or Older or Blind

You can take the higher standard deduction if your spouse is age 65 or older or blind and:


You file a joint return, or

You file a separate return and can claim an exemption for your spouse because your spouse had no gross income and an exemption for your spouse could not be claimed by another taxpayer.

You cannot claim the higher standard deduction for an individual other than yourself and your spouse.

end of quote

from:;f=18;t=000052;p=0 they discuss this;

and my own experience I received a "certificate of blindness" from my doctor stating that I was permanently blind and the date, for many forms she had to be notified where this one page document couldn't be enclosed in the envelope with whatever form, so from my site perhaps print applications for your ADA card, any forms like phone (lifeline) real estate savings etc and have them ready for your next DR's visit or call and ask if they could be mailed all together?

I scanned and saved the certificate which I also recommend to have a clean digital copy to attach to applications online or just to print when needed

Log in to Post a Reply