Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Wanting to meet a blind person near me

Hi. I'm almost 18 and would like to meet a blind person my age near me. I just feel like every one around me takes what they have for granted and I'm tired of it. If you live on the central coast of California between Santa Ynez and the Cuesta grade please email me at kgaussoin@ymail.com

There are currently 19 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re: Wanting to meet a blind person near me

Meeting and getting to know someone who is blind or visually impaired -- well, it is like meeting anyone else. Someone who is blind is totally depended upon the descriptions that they are told. Bear in mind, they may or may not understand the reference point. Example, how do you explain the difference between the colors red and blue? A blind individual is dependent on your explanations. A blind or visually impaired individual are just as intelligent as anyone else -- they just cannot physically see. Speak to them just like anyone else. Ask questions. I'm sure that they have some for you. I personally know someone who is blind, but she can see better than anyone I have ever met, but not visually. How does two sighted people discuss topics? There is no difference. It may seem a challenge at times, but with trust, the experience is very much worth the effort. It is so difficult to explain this in 25 words or less and my comments may seem disjointed. Treat any individual with dignity and respect. That is what we all want -- sighted or otherwise.

Hi Kyle,
Sorry I haven't replied in a while, I've been busy. Yes I do have an e-mail. I'll e-mail you. I don't want everyone on here to know what it is.

How is your day going?? My name is Emmanuel..I am 25 years of age single never married with no kids.. I am caring, loving, honest, faithful, down to earth, i like to go swimming, go to the movies, listen to music and go shopping. I am looking for a serious relationship with marriage potentials. Someone who knows what she wants and knows how to get it, someone who wants to be loved and cared for, Someone i will spend the rest of my life with..you can contact me with emmanuel_oluwatimilehin @ yahoo.com

I'm pretty good. Do you have an email? It would be easier for me to communicate that way.

How are you?

Hello

Hello

Hi.

Same with me.

Not too much. What about you?

What's up?

I'm good.

Good and you?

Hi,
How are you?

Oh okay.

Ya most people don't like to acknowledge others who have disabilities. My father was raised by deaf-mutes so he understood what it was like. He always taught me to talk to people weather they lacked a sense or a limb because most people wont do that, and also to acknowledge what ever it is that's different because if anything it's a good conversation starter.

Hi,
I've noticed that most people take things for granted. They don't talk to me much except when they have to.

Thank you for responding. please email me.

Hi Kyle, I think it's great that you realize that people around you take things for granted, but keep in mind that blind people are like any other group and some may still take things for granted as well. I do not live near you, but I would love to chat if you wanted. Good luck!