Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Bioptic Driving

Hello, I am just wondering if there are any other Bioptic Drivers on this site. I have been using Bioptic lenses to drive at night for about 5 years now. I have optic nerve atrophy. I do not know one other person that uses them only me. thanks Kim

There are currently 2 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re: Bioptic Driving

Hi Ike, I have been on that site for years myself! I learned about these lenses only in 2004 just from searching online as nobody ever mentioned this to me at all. I use regular glasses for daytime driving and the bioptics when I drive at night...which is only when absolutely necessary! They are a wonderful tool!! Thank you for your response!! Good to know there are others like me!

Kim

Re: Bioptic Driving

Hi,

There are some of us low vision drivers out here. I have been using a bioptic system since 1992 here in Georgia. I had driven in Florida for 3 years back in the mid '70s before their program was discontinued, but I think it is back up and running.
I have a daytime only license, as does my brother who also lives here in Atlanta. We were born with congenital cataracts, had surgory at age six months, grew up wearing "coke bottle" glasses, but are lucky enough to qualify for low vision driving.

You might want to check out the Bioptic Driving Network website at http://www.biopticdriving.org/. It has some good information.
Ike