Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

I need information about Kurzweil 1000

Hello, my name is Janelle and I am a student at the University of Minnesota. I am in the process of writing a term paper about the versatility of Kurzweil 1000 software. The thing is that I have never used it. I'm taking a visual impairments course and in our labs we get to try out the various softwares such as JAWS, ZoomText, CCTV, etc and the Kurzweil lab is the same day my paper is due. So, I m wondering if someone could answer a couple questions for me. I've read a bit about the software and I realize you scan in text you want to access but how else does it differ from JAWS or ZoomText? I saw that it can magnify text and highlight text for people with low vision and since it only reads what is scanned or in electronic format, I'm assuming it can't read computer menus or web pages like a screen reader does? Is that right? I just don't understand the difference and why someone would use kurzweil 1000 and why someone might use JAWS. Can Kurzweil read web pages? Can books be scanned in and be read by JAWS? I'm so confused. If Kurzweil is so different from screen readers, then what products are similar to Kurzweil 1000 that are on the market today and what are the pros and cons of them? Where might Kurzweil 1000 fall short? If there is any way anyone can help answer some of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Janelle

There are currently 2 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re:I need information about Kurzweil 1000

You are right about what Kurzweil 1000 does. It is an optical character recognition (OCR) system. OCR systems provide persons who are blind or visually impaired with the capacity to scan printed text and then have it spoken in synthetic speech or saved to a computer file. There are three essential elements to OCR technology—scanning,
recognition, and reading text.

OCR systems can't read computer menus or web pages like a screen reader. Kurzweil 1000 is popular because off-the-shelf OCR systems are hard for most blind people to use. Another OCR system is OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. You can save the files scanned with Kurzweil 1000 and read them with JAWS in a word processor. It is usually convenient to read short files in Kurzweil.
Kurzweil and OpenBook are are both very good products with a lot of features included.

Re:I need information about Kurzweil 1000

You are right about what Kurzweil 1000 does. It is an optical character recognition (OCR) system. OCR systems provide persons who are blind or visually impaired with the capacity to scan printed text and then have it spoken in synthetic speech or saved to a computer file. There are three essential elements to OCR technology—scanning,
recognition, and reading text.

OCR systems can't read computer menus or web pages like a screen reader. Kurzweil 1000 is popular because off-the-shelf OCR systems are hard for most blind people to use. Another OCR system is OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. You can save the files scanned with Kurzweil 1000 and read them with JAWS in a word processor. It is usually convenient to read short files in Kurzweil.
Kurzweil and OpenBook are are both very good products with a lot of features included.