Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

I'm a 47 year old female diagnosed 2 months ago with permanent legal blindness. I am scheduled to return and complete the one outstanding course remaining at Eckerd college for my BA in human development. Other than finances in general, I specifically need assistive technology devices, such as computer, OCR, Daisy recorder, text to voice scanner, and I live on $713.00 a month Social security and classes start Aug 13th, 2016. I have no money but much desire to succeed and graduate. I am sure to get financial aid but not prior to classes beginning. Help or point me in the right direction, please.

There is currently 1 reply

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re: Help!!

Hi -
Check out the local dept of services for the blind in your area. I worked with the local agency in my area and they were amazing. At the time I didn't need any assistance that you mentioned but it was all available if I needed it. Hope that helps.
Good luck. Even if you hit a roadblock before school starts, don't give up! You are so close. I find your preservence inspiring. I'm rooting for you!! Keep us posted. I'd like to hear how it goes.