How Is COVID-19 Continuing to Impact Education in the 2020-2021 School Year?
For the Access and Engagement II study, researchers collected data from 662 family members, teachers of students with visual impairments, and O&M specialists to understand the challenges and successes in the patchwork of education occurring throughout the United States and Canada. The Executive Summary provides a snapshot of the finding and recommendations. The full report notes the challenges with digital learning tools, instruction for students with additional disabilities, mental health concerns, but also the successes and collaboration that have occurred as the pandemic has impacted education throughout the 2020-2021 school year.
How Will the Findings Be Used?
AFB and other collaborators (see list below) are already sharing data from this study to document both the pandemic-created and systemic issues impacting the education of students with visual impairments. More importantly, it will allow us to work together to develop solutions to ensure children with visual impairment have an accessible, engaging, and equitable education.
How Can I Stay Informed About AFB's Research?
Please sign up to receive updates on AFB's research related to blindness and low vision. If you have ideas, comments, experiences, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share them with Dr. Rosenblum and the other authors of Access and Engagement and AFB staff who focus on public policy initiatives.
The following 22 organizations, companies, and universities are collaborating on this project.
- Academy for Certification and Education of Vision Rehabilitation Professionals
- Aira Tech Corp
- American Council of the Blind
- American Foundation for the Blind
- American Printing House for the Blind
- American Thermoform/Braillo
- Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Braille Institute of America
- CNIB Foundation
- Council for Exceptional Children’s Division on Visual Impairment and Deafblindness
- Council of Schools and Services for the Blind
- National Braille Press
- National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation
- Objective Ed
- Perkins School for the Blind
- Seedlings Braille Books for Children
- Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- University of South Carolina Upstate, Visual Impairment Program
- Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada
- VisionServe Alliance